Monday, December 16, 2013

Handel's worship

George Frideric Handel's Messiah went public in Dublin in April 1742, originally meant to be an Easter offering.
I love that at this first performance of the Messiah the Rev. Patrick Dealny was so moved by what one of the female soloists was singing that he jumped to his feet and cried out "Woman, for this be all thy sins forgiven thee!"
There were certainly moments like that for me when I listened to the Messiah at York Minster this last Saturday. I wept silently as I listened to the words and music--trying not to make a scene. A part of me wanted to jump up at points or even fall on my face and just worship.  I don't think the refined audience of York residents gathered that evening would have approved!
And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. (Isaiah 40:5 KJV)
My Spirit said 'yes!' This is my hope. This is what I'm living for! 

Handel's Messiah is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. Being a worship leader, I admit that most Christan worship songs cannot stand the test of time.  Most modern worship music is written to be simple, catchy, accessible and singable-- in other words congregational.  But Handel's Messiah is in a class all its own.

Not only is the music sublime but its intention is noble.  The music is meant to carry the very word of life and message of hope.

Handel came across the libretto by Charles Jennens when he was in debt, depressed, and contemplating a return to Germany. He was moved profoundly to set the words to music. The libretto was divided into three parts: 1) prophecies about the coming messiah (largely drawing on Isaiah); 2) the birth, life, ministry, death, resurrection of Christ; 3) the End times with Christ’s final victory over sin and death, largely based in the book of Revelation.

Handel wrote Messiah in a very short time-- just 24 days in which he barely ate or left his home. It is said that when He wrote the Hallelujah Chorus his assistant found him in tears and he said, "I did think I saw heaven open, and saw the very face of God." 

Using scripture in theatre was revolutionary for Handel's day and some people opposed his work.  Influential people would try and sabotage his performances by giving large teas and sponsoring other theatrical performances in order to steal away his audiences. "If the Playhouse is a fit Temple..." one opponent published in a newspaper, "or a Company of Players fit Ministers of God’s Word."  This person saw the Messiah as "prostituting sacred things to the perverse humour of a Set of obstinate people."

Handel was German and accustomed to having the word of God accessible.  Isn't this what Martin Luthrer had accomplished for all of us? The inventors of the printing press and founders of the Lutheran bible were not about to let only a chosen few have the word of God in in holy places but in every part of life.   "I have read my Bible very well," he said, "and will choose for myself." In fact, Handel maintained that he knew the Bible as well as any bishop. 

Some said that Satan was behind the word of God being proclaimed in the theatre of all places!

Handel was certainly ahead of his time, and I am thankful for people like him who challenge the traditions and popular culture of our day by having a clear vision of what God wants to do.

“I should be sorry if I only entertained them, I wish to make them better.” – George Frideric Handel

“I have heard great music--even sublime music. I've heard music fit for princes, for kings. I have heard music fit for any monarch. But that night, for the first time in my life, I heard music fit for God.” 
-- J. Scott Featherstone










No comments:

Post a Comment